When I began my recipe hunt, I already knew, before clicking my Google search results, that I wanted to make stuffed mushrooms, because I had never made them before. I flipped through a few pages of recipes on a couple different sites, getting the idea of different things to stuff them with. I kept a few in the back of my mind when I went grocery shopping the other day and came back with what inspired me.
~Stuffed Mushrooms ~
[with bacon, just for you, Kevin!]
- fry 4 pieces of bacon [low sodium, if you're salt conscious like I am]
- de-grease with paper towels
- crumble into a bowl [or use Bacon Bits, if you're a cheater]
- while the bacon is sizzling, prepare the mushrooms -- 6 medium-sized
- mine were from a bulk box and smelled like dirt, but I hope you're not moronic enough to forget to wash them...dry them too!
- remove the stems from the caps/the caps from the stems (you want to keep the caps) -- I twisted and pulled, and kind of dug out whatever clung behind
- finely cut green onions -- about 2-3 tablespoons
- finely grate mozzarella cheese -- about 2-3 tablespoons
- combine the crumbled up bacon, cheese, and onions
- brush olive oil on the rounded exterior of the mushroom caps [important! do this before stuffing the mushrooms! I neglected to do so until after, which was awkward]
- stuff the Christmas-colored mixture into the bowl of the mushrooms [and I mean really stuff -- the openings are small and you have a lot of filling! pretend you are at the mall getting Mongolian BBQ and cram as much into that bowl as you can! but be gentle -- the mushroom caps can split]
- broil the oiled and stuffed mushrooms for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted
- serve and eat!