Monday, November 30, 2009

You say Bok, I say Choy

Sorry, ladies and gents, but I did not do any cranberry cheffing last week. After coconut milk curry on Saturday, I ate curry leftovers Sunday and Monday, went out for Indian food with Sarah Michelle and Brandon on Tuesday, and went to my parents' house Wednesday (eating leftover Indian food) in order to get up early to prepare Thanksgiving for six on Thursday. Friday and Saturday I was with Kevin + family + friends in Marin/San Francisco. But! I did help bake cranberry bread for Thanksgiving. Alas, I have no pictures or recipe. Nevertheless, the show must go on!

This week the ingredient is: Bok Choy! And I made salad.

I got the original recipe from cooks.com, but I adjusted the ingredient amounts as seemed about right at the time, so I will do my best to guesstimate how much of everything I actually used. I think the topping was a bit heavy (too many nuts and sesame seeds!), so maybe half that.

~ Bok Choy [Sans]-Noodle Salad ~
  • cut up 1 head of bok choy (about 1 inches apart) and set aside in a bowl
  • cut up 1 bunch of green onions and set aside
  • saute in 2 Tablespoons of canola oil (recipe calls for butter, but that seemed excessive for a salad):
    - 1/2 cup sesame seeds
    - 1 cup cashews
    - 1 cup slivered almonds
    - chopped green onion (improv)
  • mix this in with the bok choy
  • for dressing, mix together (very well -- the oil isn't very friendly!):
    - 1/2 cup olive oil
    - 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (original: 1/2 cup vinegar)
    - 1/4 cup soy sauce (addition)
  • drizzle the dressing on the salad and stir well
  • [the recipe called for breaking Ramen noodles up by hand, but I decided it was already crunchy enough without that]
[1/160 sec, f/5.0, ISO 400, 63mm, with flash]
~*~

While grocery shopping today for the missing ingredients, among other edible necessities, I spotted a pre-marinated teriyaki salmon fillet. This not only looked and sounded absolutely delish, but it would go well with my salad. So I grilled this as well. Using the same pan that I saute'd the salad fixings in, I heated 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, then grilled each side of the fillet for 5-7 minutes each, flipping regularly. I cooked the bottom first so I could peel off the skin easily.

Yum!

[1/160 sec, f/5.0, ISO 400, 48mm, with flash]
~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment