Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cheesecakepie

So, I am kind of doing my Iron Chef Blogger Challenges out of order, here. But I had a pie crust in my fridge I needed to use, and when Kevin and I shopped for ingredients for last week's recipe, we also got the fixings for a cheesecake, because for some reason, they call it a cake even though you bake it in a pie crust! Both apple muffins and lime cheesecake were on the agenda for the weekend, and two things convinced us (well, me, since I do all the work anyway) to do the cheesecakepie first:

1. Cheesecake has to chill overnight, and Kevin needed to help me eat it before he left for LA again!
2. Upon returning from the store, I found that the next ingredient was cream cheese, and I just so happened to have bought 16 ounces of the stuff!

~Lime Cheesecake~
First of all, you're supposed to use a graham cracker crust. The pie crust I had was regular pie crust, but the only other pie Kevin wanted was apple, and that requires 2 crusts. So we settled on cheesecake! It isn't as decadent as graham cracker crust, but still tasty!

For the filling: Blend together two 8 oz. packages of cream cheese with 2/3 cup of sugar (oh, I 2/3s a recipe that wanted 3 packages and a larger pie mold). This works best with a mixer, but I don't have one, so I let it soften on the stovetop as I cooked dinner, then cut it up before putting in the bowl, and used 2 whisks to simulate a mixer. Yeah, I'm that awesome.

Stir in 2 or 3 eggs (it calls for 5, so 2/3 of that!) one at a time.
Stir in 2/3 cup sour cream.
Stir in 1 tsp vanilla (the recipe we "used" didn't call for it, but others did, so I added it).
Stir in 3/8 cup lime juice and the zest of 1 lime.

I'm pretty sure that's all that was in the filling. I kind of Frankenstein'ed a few recipes because the original one we had wanted crazy things to be done (baking it surrounded by water??) and actually wanted the low-fat version of cream cheese that I saw for the first time at the store (and didn't buy!).

Bake at 350?F for 45 minutes.
Let cool, then refrigerate overnight.

It was tasty!

~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment