Thursday, January 28, 2010

She's Got a Muffintop

This was definitely last week's Iron Chef Blogger Challenge....but you can read my last post to learn why this is out of order, because I definitely had my ingredients in time to bake these the end of last week.

~Apple Muffins~
Mix together dry ingredients: 1.75 cups flour, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

Whisk together 2 eggs and 1.5 cups light brown sugar.
Add 1/2 stick melted butter.
Stir in 1 cup sour cream.
Mix in dry ingredients slowly.
Stir in 1 cup of pecans (or walnuts), chopped.
Stir in small pieces of 2 diced apples (small, or in my case 1.5 medium apples).

Pour into muffin cups (in a tin), 3/4 full.

Streusel Topping: 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons softened butter, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Mix together and drizzle on each muffin before baking.

Bake 20 minutes at 400F.
Cool on a rack before removing muffins from tin.
Store in airtight container (refrigerate after 1 day).

Enjoy them warm! I forgot to photograph until after I took a bite...



The first batch looked weirder than the 2nd, because the original streusel recipe called for 1.5 T of butter and it was not quite fluid enough to drizzle, and I had to spread on with a knife, so it went on thick and the tops of the muffins didn't crack. But so delicious! And I was too lazy to take and upload pictures of the more attractive batch. Just believe me when I say they tasted amazing!

YUM ALL GONE!


~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment